09/02/2015Beatie Center For Animal Medicine
He may be a kind man who helps you save a buck, but Beatie is not a professional. He failed to look at our dog's patient history and she died.----This is the one year anniversary of my beloved dog's tragic death, and I have hesitated to post a review here because I didn't want my emotions to override the facts. That being said, I used to recommend Beatie to everyone because of his "down to earth" way of giving care, without a lot of fluff or expensive medications. The prices were certainly right, which helped me overlook the poor customer service skills of the staff (though it was clear they all liked animals).We had been taking both of our dogs there for about a year, when my 4 year old German Shepherd suddenly began peeing in her sleep and gulping water during the day as if she could never get enough to drink. We immediately took her to Beatie where they tested her urine for a UTI, it came back negative. They gave us a round of antibiotics for a suspected bacterial ulcer.After a week she showed no signs of improvement, but we were supposed to continue the medication for 14 days. In the meantime she stopped wanting to eat and would suffer terrible diarrhea and would vomit. We took her back and Beatie spent about 4 minutes with us and gave us medication for heartburn. This didn't seem to make sense, but we gave it to her while continuing the ulcer meds too.No improvement, and a few days later it was apparent she was in some kind of pain. She walked very slowly and seemed stiff. We took her in again and Beatie quickly declared she had arthritis because she was a German Shepherd and they are prone to that. We asked if it could be related to the other symptoms and he didn't seem to know what we were talking about. He said to give her half a pill of Aleve a day because the dog medication was just Alleve but three times as much in cost.We felt uneasy but trusted him in the end, so added Alleve to her pill regimen.Two days later it was obvious things were getting worse. We called Beatie to report that our dog was vomiting bile and a red substance (blood) and hadn't kept any food down for two days. The receptionist said they were closing and we might be able to get an appointment after the weekend. We begged her to let us come in and she curtly said we could for an extra $80 on top of the visit fee,We decided to take her to the Savannah Emergency Pet Clinic. What a difference in care! The vet saw us immediately and listened to our story. She quickly put the pieces together: our dog had kidney failure, which should have been one of the first things Beatie tested for with urinary and thirst symptoms. She was amazed he hadn't. She couldn't believe he told us to give our dog Alleve as dogs can easily overdose and die, and it severely damages kidney function. Beatie had made our dog's kidneys worse than they already were.The emergency vet began an IV to treat her severe dehydration and asked to keep her overnight. My dog laid her head in my lap and looked up at me... and I knew she was telling me goodbye. She wasn't going to make it. I began to cry and the vet confirmed that, yes, our dog has progressed to a bad point and things did not look good.We had to leave her there as it was already midnight and we had our baby with us. We got a call at 3 am that our dog had died.I know hindsight is 20/20 but we trusted Beatie to be the expert, to look at our dog's visit history over the course of a few weeks and see a medical explanation, not just give us whatever explanation seemed the easiest solution. I can't help but feel guilty not finding my dog better care, she might have been saved.I tell everyone to stay away from him. Your pet is worth more than a cheap vet.
This place is disgusting. I went in to buy a rat, which they didn't have any for sale. No biggie they were babies.Cockroaches all over the cages, in the bedding, in the food, in the toys, and everything was over priced/.Their mammals are left in this tiny little side area that they have to show you because without I would have never seen it. Never going back, but if I do it's to save poor ratties from that disaster of an environment.